This section contains information about the responsibilities of passengers, parents and drivers in ensuring safe bus transportation.
Passengers need to remember the following safety rules:
- Be on time for the bus.
- Never run to or from the bus.
- Stand back from the curb.
- Don’t push or shove.
- Stay in your seat.
- Don’t yell or shout.
- No fighting or hitting.
- Always obey the driver.
- Wait for the driver’s signal before crossing the street.
- Always cross at least 10 feet in front of the bus.
- Never crawl under a bus.
- Remain silent at railroad crossings.
- Do not eat or drink on the bus.
- Sit in your assigned seat.
- Keep aisles and exits clear.
- Passengers must leave or board the bus at their assigned locations.
- Keep bags and personal items to a minimum.
Parents/caregivers play an important role in keeping passengers safe on the bus. They can help by:
- Reviewing safety rules with passengers, and explaining why each rule is important.
- Helping passengers dress suitably for weather conditions, and day/night situations (dress in light colored clothing or jackets on dark mornings/evenings).
- Eliminating all drawstrings and dangling straps from clothing that may get caught on the bus while the passenger is loading or unloading.
- Working with the driver and principal/facility manager if necessary to help correct behavior patterns when passengers forget the rules.
- Helping ensure passenger readiness before their bus arrives.
- Building awareness of pick up and drop off times, and being ready to assist
- Assisting at the wheelchair lift area during loading/unloading.
- Keeping pets away from the loading/unloading area.
Bus drivers help keep passengers safe in a number of ways:
- Driving the bus safely.
- Getting to know passengers as much as possible.
- Letting passengers know what the rules are, and what the consequences are for breaking the rules.
- Correcting passengers when they make a mistake.
- Letting a parent or the principal/facility manager know when a passenger disregards a rule repeatedly.
- Not allowing one or two passengers to jeopardize the safety of everyone riding the bus.
- Operating the bus on the established schedule.
- Keeping the bus clean and safe for all passengers.