Financial and Future Planning for People with DD
A variety of tools are available to help individuals with developmental disabilities and their family members plan for the future. Some of these tools help individuals set personal and life goals, while others are specific to financial planning. Links to some of these resources are included below:
- Life Map (a product of the Ohio Association of County Boards)
- ISP meeting planning: My-LifeCourse-Portfolio: A tool that can be completed and used in Individual Service Plan (ISP) meetings to help individuals explain what is important to them, how they want to be supported, what their vision of a GOOD life includes, and what they do not want.
- Estate and Future Planning resources from the Ohio Developmental Disabilities Council: Includes explanations of waivers, Social Security, Medicaid, different types of trusts, trustee issues, and more.
- STABLE Savings Accounts: A tax-free savings tool that allows individuals and their families to save and invest without losing needs-based benefits; for disability-related expenses.
- Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities "5 Point" Video Series on Trusts:
- Special Needs Alliance: A national organization comprised of attorneys dedicated to the practice of disability and public benefits law. Membership is invitation only, and based on a combination of relevant legal experience in the disability and elder law fields, direct family experience with disability, active participation with national, state and local disability advocacy organizations, and professional reputation. Its website contains a wealth of helpful resources for families.
- Special Needs Trusts: The Disability Foundation, a supporting organization of The Dayton Foundation, offers individuals and families guidance and assistance in establishing pooled trusts in the Disability Foundation Brochure.