Adaptive Equipment

If you are a person receiving services from the Montgomery County Board of Developmental Disabilities and need assistive technology or adaptive equipment, we encourage you to reach out to your Developmental Specialist or Service and Support Administrator, as they are your first and best resource in finding equipment and funding that can help you with your disability.

Other resources include:

  • Types of Assistive Technology: The Cuyahoga County Board of Developmental Disabilities has dedicated a section of its website to showcase examples of assistive technology used in every area of a home. This site not only showcases the solutions, but also provides information about where the equipment can be purchased.

  • Technology to Try: Lending libraries are helpful for people with disabilities, allowing them to try out different technology based on their needs before purchasing equipment, such as medical equipment or adaptive toys. Many programs offer lending services for free. The Ohio Developmental Disabilities Council has created a map showing locations of Ohio Lending Libraries for assistive technology, medical equipment, and adaptive toys. They have also created a two page, downloadable flyer with additional information, including locations.

  • Assistive Technology Lending Library: Assistive Technology Ohio allows people with disabilities to try adaptive equipment before purchasing it.

  • Custom Equipment: Groups like May We Help may also offer assistance if you need a custom device or solution. May We Help is a Cincinnati-based group of 75 volunteer engineers, industrial designers, inventors, welders, woodworkers, seamstresses, doctors, occupational and physical therapists who come together to design, build and deliver custom devices at no cost to hundreds of clients every year. They can be reached at 513-834-6443 or at the May We Help website.